Monday, November 3, 2008

"Delicatessen"


The first time I saw the movie "Delicatessen" I was overwhelmed by the intensity and craziness of the movie, and that is exactly what I expected coming from the directors of "The City of Lost Children" and vice versa. That is with the exception of "Amelie", because its just so damn cute and endearing. About a month after I saw Delicatessen for the first time; I started having flashbacks of different scenes from the movie. I also had a overwhelming urge to watch it again. And I did. I have to say it was way better the second time around, but I am not saying that I didn't like it the first time. I'm saying that its a-lot to digest when watching it for the first time. Now that I think about it that's how it is for almost all movies.



Something stood out to me when I watched it the second time around, and that was; the movie seemed more like a touching love story, than a crazy post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy; to me its like a tender love story between the two peaceful people, who got mixed up with some cannibalism, butcher knifes and lots n' lots of water. If I was to play the game "desert island" and the category was films, I would hands down put this movie on that list; along side the movies "Dan in real life", "Lost Highway", "Garden State", "Iron Giant", and of-course "Amelie". =)

No comments: